____________________________________

Tuesday, June 27, 2006


Worth Watching for Time Alone

The Lake HouseLast weekend, my wife and I caught the movie release of The Lake House. From the reviews, we suspected it would be different.  The Arizona Republic movie reviewer tagged the movie as bad, which doesn’t make you want to run right out and see it (provided you agree with his opinion and in this case I don’t).  This film with Sandra Bullock and Keanu Reeves released on June 16th and not even two weeks later, it’s already fading in the box office. I can tell you right away that we enjoyed the film and it contains something special—especially if you are looking for something different.

The story evolves around an independent-minded medical doctor (Sandra Bullock) who once occupied a lake home. She begins exchanging love notes with a frustrated architect (Keanu Reeves).  Through the exchange, they learn they are both living in the same house and yet separated by two years. Throughout the film, they unravel the mystery of this time separation. For most of the storyline the couple is apart and trying to figure out how this weird time warp has happened and what they can do to resolve it.

I can understand why the reviewer didn’t like it. The time situation alone in this film broke the typical conventions and expectations of the viewer. Yet the time difference also elevated this film out of the ordinary and made it a fascinating romance. It kept my attention. My feelings about the film were confirmed as the closing credits rolled and my wife turned to me and said, “I loved it.” It is a rare film that I will watch repeatedly but I suspect I could see The Lake House several times and learn something from each viewing.

With our own storytelling, we want to do something which will elevate it from the ordinary into the extraordinary.  Admittedly, it is not easy but is part of our task as writers. We need to continue to work at our craft.

5 Comment:

At 9:04 AM, Blogger Richard L. Mabry, MD Left a note...

Perfect timing, Terry. My neighbor gave us some free movie passes, and we were looking for a good movie to see. Don't even recall seeing this reviewed in the exalted Dallas Morning News, so it hasn't made much splash here. Thanks for calling it to our attention.

 
At 2:40 PM, Blogger Deborah Raney Left a note...

My daughter and I saw The Lake House this weekend, too, Terry, and we both loved it. I'd been hesitant because of the negative reviews, but I predict this movie will enjoy sleeper status when it finally comes out on DVD.

 
At 4:31 PM, Blogger Wandering Writer Left a note...

My husband took me to see it last night (he owed me for Mission Impossible). I was fascinated with the way they built the tension in the movie. There are some things to learn there. Need to see it again and take notes.

 
At 10:03 AM, Blogger Ruth Left a note...

I absolutely loved The Lake House. I found it absolutely fascinating and loved how it wasn't your typical cookie-cutter Hollywood romance. Its theme of "waiting" for the best instead of settling was portrayed very powerfully.

 
At 9:22 PM, Blogger Stephen Dean Left a note...

Terry, I'm a part of one of the writer's groups you're on. Maybe you've seen some of my ramblings there. Anyway, I loved The Lake House. My guy friends friends think I'm coo coo for cocoa puffs for going to--much lest liking--a "chick flick", but I did. I admit I thought it might have a bit more of a suspense thriller edge to it. The main reason I went, because that's the kind of story I like to read and write. I thought it'd be a little more like Frequency. Do you remember that movie?

 

Post a Comment


That's the writing life...

Back to the home page...