____________________________________

Sunday, January 14, 2007


Find the Passion and Run With It

Over the last few days, I've read several different things where the word "passion" continues to be central.  When you face difficult days with your writing, what keeps your fingers on the keyboard and moving ahead? Every writer and editor faces such challenges.  At times in my life as an editor and writer, I dread going to work and the meetings and conversations that are on my agenda for that day. Or I do not look forward to a particular article or editorial task in the day. What drives me ahead? It's passion for the work and the publishing business.

Years ago I interviewed best-selling author Bodie Thoene (follow this link to read her full story). Here’s the paragraph where she talks about her passion and drive to stay at the task: Bodie sits at her computer hitting the keys with two fingers. She may work until 10 p.m. to reach her goal--at least five finished pages. "No little elves come out of my closet to write 650 manuscript pages," Bodie says. "Some mornings I don't feel like writing, but I do it out of obedience to God."

For each of us this passion is expressed in different ways. It was fascinating to read what Mike Hyatt, CEO at Thomas Nelson Publishers wrote about why he loves publishing.

I have those days when I don't want to write or edit or face the things that are ahead of me.  One of my personal motivators is the power of the printed page to change lives.  While some times the connection is a bit of a stretch, I'm involved in the printed page every single day. For those who don't know my personal story about how the printed page has touched my life, look at this story. A different version of this same story is the final entry in God Allows U Turns for Teens.

It's key to face the discipline of the work, draw on your passion and keep your fingers on the keyboard. I know firsthand the way books and magazine articles can change lives. It happened to me.

3 Comment:

At 5:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous Left a note...

Thanks, Terry, for reminding us what it is we're supposed to be doing with the passion God's given us. At times my passion for writing and the written word is intoxicating and I need to make sure I keep it in balance with my other passions (family and church ministry). Thanks also for the link to your testimony. It's always refreshing to hear how others acquired thier passion.

 
At 11:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous Left a note...

I had never read your story before, Terry. Thank you for sharing that!

 
At 2:04 PM, Blogger Brenda Nixon Left a note...

My daughter, Laura, is also published in God Allows U Turns for Teens.
If it wasn't for my passion and drive to empower parents with education and encouragment, I would've quit speaking and writing years ago. Some days it takes sheer grit to keep going. Terry, when you share, "I know firsthand the way books and magazine articles can change lives. It happened to me," it is an impetus to me - and I'm sure many others - to hang on. Thanks.

 

Post a Comment


That's the writing life...

Back to the home page...