____________________________________

Wednesday, October 10, 2007


Blog Flack

I’ve taken my fair share of critics about these entries on The Writing Life. You could even call it a bit of blog flack. There will always be critics in this world—no matter which way you write and work in the publishing community. As a writer, you have to decide which voices you listen to and respect. Or which voices you ignore. There are some people who when they speak to me about something, I will listen to in-depth and other people I will almost instantly discount it.

I have my own series of challenges to faithfully create the material in these entries and get it out into the marketplace. I’m continually learning about publishing. In a week, I head to the Glorieta Christian Writers Conference. In recent days, I’ve been preparing for two new workshops that I’m teaching about Ebooks and Repurposing Your Content plus meeting with a number of writers and helping them with their proposals.

Just when I was having some doubts about the merits of these entries about writing and publishing, I received an unsolicited email from Joe Wikert. We had never corresponded yet Joe has been reading my blog and in fact recommended my Straight Talk From The Editor in his well-crafted blog about publishing. If you look at Joe’s entry, you will see that he is the Vice President and Executive Publisher at John Wiley & Sons, which recently celebrated 200 years of publishing. This publishing house was founded in 1807 during the Presidency of Thomas Jefferson. From Joe’s brief email, I received some encouragement.

Most of us will never know the impact of our words whether in print or in an email. It’s something to consider in these days of rush with way too much to accomplish in the hours of our day.

I’m excited about my teleseminar tomorrow. You can register for it, ask a question at http://www.askterrywhalin.com/. I’ve been corresponding with the “mystery magazine editor” who will be joining me for part of this call. It’s one of the absolute best places for any writer to break into WRITING FOR THE CHRISTIAN MARKET. He’s going to be giving us unique information about how to meet his editorial needs. Here’s a hint for you about which publication: the magazine is a weekly publication which means it requires a high volume of excellent Christian writing. If you can’t make the live event, go ahead and register because you will receive the link for the replay. Hope to see you on this call or you can hear it on the live telewebcast.

Labels: , , , , , ,

5 Comment:

At 2:39 PM, Blogger David A. Todd Left a note...

Alas, I have to miss Glorieta this year, due to finances and work commitments. I'll be travelling tomorrow night as well.

It's hard to see much--nay, anything--to critisize about "The Writing Life". Always good information, well written, and considerately stated? What more could a wannabe writer want? (except maybe more of it?)

 
At 11:00 PM, Blogger Terry Whalin Left a note...

Thank you, David. We'll miss you this year at Glorieta.

Terry

 
At 11:38 AM, Blogger Unknown Left a note...

Terry, I had trouble with the link to register for your ask Terry program for later today...

help...me...

 
At 3:13 PM, Blogger Terry Whalin Left a note...

Pam,

The computer company hosting the site went down earlier today--but thankfully it is back online and my teleseminar will take place in about 45 minutes. Register even if you can't attend because the replay link will be avalable.

So much of life is outside of your immmediate control--and here's a fresh example. I'm glad it returned in the nick of time.

Terry

 
At 7:21 PM, Blogger Melissa Left a note...

Great links. And the world of independent writing and publishing is not too hard to handle if you know where to look. That conference looks great, also you should try looking at Nothing Binding.com. It allows the opportunity for independent authors to sell large quantities of books.

 

Post a Comment


That's the writing life...

Back to the home page...