____________________________________

Sunday, October 21, 2007


Fragile Dreams

For the last few days, I’ve been at the Glorieta Christian Writers Conference. As a literary agent, I’ve had a parade of would-be authors sign up to meet with me, flock to my dining room table and catch me in the halls of the conference.

Each time I attend a conference as a member of the faculty, I’m keenly aware of the fragile nature of dreams. I’ve listened to many people tell me about themselves, their work, their hopes and their dreams. The challenge is to understand the effort of the writer to tell someone else about their hopes and dreams. I know these plans are fragile because I have many of my own plans and dreams. I look for ways to build these individuals, give them hope and encouragement yet balanced with realism about the challenges of book publishing and today’s marketplace. It’s a careful walk and I hope I achieved it.

I’m on the way back home. Tuesday I’m looking forward to interviewing Susan Driscoll, the president and CEO of iUniverse.com which is one of the largest Print-On-Demand companies in the United States. I’d encourage you to ask a question and listen to the live telewebcast.

Labels: , ,

2 Comment:

At 2:50 PM, Blogger Lynette Eason Left a note...

Thanks for sharing, Terry. Let me just say the couple of times I've run into you (one of those times in the Amarillo, TX airport) you've been very encouraging of my dreams! And while I never submitted to you (because I really knew it wasn't good enough), I appreciated your willingness to ask for it...smile.

Blessings,
Lynette

 
At 2:54 AM, Blogger Rebecca Laffar-Smith Left a note...

Some writers can have fragile hopes and dreams. I know I've occasionally let misguided criticism from peers derail me for a time but I honestly believe that those of us destined to 'make it' will come back onto the path again and again. Unfortunately it's often the most stubbornly insistent that take the longest to improve. Fragile dreamers learn the most from every piece of feedback they receive.

 

Post a Comment


That's the writing life...

Back to the home page...